TERMS OF REFERENCE
Location: Vientiane, Lao PDR (Online)
Application Deadline: 13 September 2021
Type of Contract: Short-term Consultant
Position: Consultant for CSOs capacity building on lobbying and advocacy
Duration of Initial Contract: 5 days
The Gender Development Association (GDA) is a leading gender rights Non-Profit Association, working throughout Lao PDR since 1991. GDA works to empower women and men to achieve gender equity through joint action, knowledge sharing, and ending gender-based violence and discrimination. Our team is based in Vientiane Capital, and works in rural communities throughout Lao PDR, as well as with our network of international partners.
With financial support from Bread for The World Organization, GDA has implemented a project “Strengthening Gender Rights” which aims to improve the social and legal situation on gender diversity in Lao PDR. The project aims to 1) mainstream Gender right issues in activities of Lao CSOs and networks, 2) raise awareness on Gender equality and Gender-Based violence and 3) enable the issue be recognized by the policy-makers.
Since working on gender issue goes with policy influence at national and local level, advocacy and lobbying skills become one of critical areas that need to be strengthened, especially for CSOs. Therefore, GDA is seeking for a competent consultant to conduct capacity building for Lao CSOs on lobbying and advocacy aimed at raising their capacity to expand spaces for negotiation with empowered citizens and accountable duty bearers through multi-stakeholder platforms.
Target group for Training:
- Lao Civil Society Organizations and related partners (total: Approx. 30 ppl)
- Inception report: Outlining details/ process of how the 3-day training will be conducted;
- Develop training schedule, manuals, and necessary tools for training;
- Facilitate online training for selected CSOs and related partners with focus and practical examples to demonstrate the following:
- Basics of Lobbying, policy analysis and advocacy in relation to Gender and GBV issues;
- Planning on advocacy and lobbying campaign;
- Advocacy message writing;
- Advocacy and lobbying strategy;
- Generation and dissemination of evidence-based documents (position papers, petition and case studies) to facilitate civil society advocacy and lobbying at different levels.
- Submit report on the conducted training to GDA.
Methodology and Approaches:
- Due to Covid-19 pandemic, the training should be delivered through online platforms;
- Varying participatory methods should be applied to maximize participant involvement;
- A rapid assessment should be developed to assess participants’ level of understanding before and after training;
- Lessons delivered in the training should be applicable and compatible with local situation;
- Any other creative and progressive methods of learning can be proposed and considered by the consultant.
- Relevant academic and professional background in social sciences, gender, GBV;
- knowledge and experience in lobbying and advocacy;
- Demonstrated experience in carrying out similar assignments with proper evidence i.e. certificate of completion;
- Good understanding on Human rights, sexual gender diversity and GBV;
- Familiarity to work with CSO, NPA, INGO or Lao government;
- Well-realizing on situation and sensitivity regarding such issue in Lao PDR;
- Experience on using effective online platform to conduct workshop training;
- Strong analytical and excellent writing and reporting skills.
Applicants should submit CV, Cover letter and other academic and/or professional evidences relevant to the assignments (if any) in soft-copy in title “Application – Advocacy Trainer“ to email@example.com and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, no rather than 13 September 2022; 17:00 pm. Only shortlist will be contacted by 15 September 2021.
For more information: 021 417758; +85620 56271142 (Lattanee Inthilath).