Terms of Reference
Title:Project Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) system consultant
Place of Assignment: Yod Ou and Boun Tai district, Phongsaly province, Lao PDR.
Reporting to: Director of Gender Development Association
Duration: February 2023
Gender Development Association (GDA) is a leading Gender Rights Non-Profit Association, working throughout Lao PDR since 1991. GDA works to empower particular women, gender diversity, and disabled people to achieve gender equity through joint action, knowledge sharing and ending gender-based violence and discrimination.
About the Project
GDA is implementing the project “Combating violence against women and girls and enhancing their access to justice” in Yod Ou and Boun Tai district, Phongsaly Province, supported by Bread for the World (BftW). The project aims to eliminate violence against women and girls (VAWG) and improve access to justice for women and girls in remote rural and mountainous areas of Laos. On the one hand, it strengthens women and girls’ self-efficacy to stand up to their rights and justice; on the other hand, it conducts gender education already in schools in an effort to lower future VAWG cases and improve gender equality. It contributes to the Goals No. 3 and 5 of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. At the national level, it is in line with the National Plan of Action on Gender Equality (2021-2025) and the National Plan of Action on Violence against Women and Children (2021-2025).
The overall goal of this project is to promote and protect the rights of Lao women and girls. Two sub-objectives of the project are as follows:
- Community’s behavior toward VAWG is improved;
- Women and girls have better access to legal aid and counseling services.
GDA is looking for a consultant expected to create a project Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) system that will act as a guiding system for the project. The MEAL system will help project staff show the causal link between the activities that are implemented and the changes that are being sought. The Consultant will create a MEAL system that serves the context of our project. This system will also feed into the creation of standardized project’s monitoring and evaluation templates that can be used to capture the impact of the project, from initial phase of implementation to the end of project cycle.
Key Outputs: Create a set of standardized templates that reflect the project’s performance in line with donor’s reporting requirements:
- Monitoring tools and Reporting templates for interim (6-month) progress reviews;
- Monitoring tools for end of year progress reviews;
- Monitoring and evaluation tools for end of project reviews.
The assignment is expected to carry out on February 2023. Actual dates will be agreed with the selected consultant(s).
Desired Qualifications and Key Competencies:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in political science, economics, international development, gender studies, law, social science, or relevant field;
- Proven experience in designing MEAL systems;
- Extensive experience in monitoring and evaluation of development projects, and participatory qualitative research in gender equality particularly gender-based violence, access to justice, or a related area. Experience in Lao PDR is preferred;
- Strong commitment to gender equality, human rights, and respect for sexual gender diversity;
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills and demonstrated ability to represent an organization to local and national government levels;
- Capacity to deliver high-quality outputs in a timely manner, be self-directed and efficient, accountable, and responsive to GDA’s brief and oversight.
Submit your complete application by no later than 18 Jan 2023, including CV (with 2 referees), Technical and Finance Proposal. Applications must be submitted by e-mail only and as PDF file to email: email@example.com, cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, in the title: Application – VAWG MEAL consultant. The only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
For any questions regarding this advertisement, please contact:
Lattanee Inthilath, Project Manager
Tel: +85620 56271142