Last week I accompanied 3 Lao university students to Hanoi, Vietnam for a 4 days Training of the Trainer workshop. We met with 21 other young female leadership trainees from Malaysia, Vietnam and Timor-Leste and Mongolia to undertake a Gender Equality Advocates Regional Training course.
During the course the participants covered topics including:
- The principles of human rights
- What is CEDAW?
- Definition of patriarchy
- Group Role play on rescripting patriarchal fairy tales
- Case study analysis of substantive equality
- Principles of CEDAW
- Group work to discuss CEDAW monitoring framework
- Exercise in defining advocacy for social change
The young women reported that they felt much more confident about advocating the principles of CEDAW, how to facilitate the training process and how to communicate to other young women in their own countries about ways to increase female empowerment.